To Apply a Function Using Excel:
- Choose the cell where you want to use the function.
- Choose the Formulas tab on the Ribbon.
- Choose the Insert Function option on the Ribbon under the Formulas tab. An = sign will appear in the cell to let you know that a formula will follow. A Insert Function dialog box will also appear.
- Type the description of the function you want to use and choose Go to see a list of possible functions.
- Choose the Function you want to use in your Excel document and choose OK. A Function Argument dialog box will appear on your screen.
- Choose the cells for each argument. When you finish building the arguments, choose OK.
To Create a Formula to Perform a Calculation in Excel:
- Choose the cell where you would like to apply the formula.
- Type = into the cell. You will be able to see the formula that you are inputting in its entirety in the Formula Bar, as well as in the cell.
- Choose the cell that you would like to include as the first cell in your formula. Excel will automatically place the cell into the formula.
- Choose an Operator to be used in the formula (+, etc.).
- Choose the next cell that is to be used in your formula. Repeat the above step and this step for each cell and operator that needs to be added to your formula.
- Hit Enter on the keyboard or the Check Mark on the Formula Bar to accept your formula.